Pain and Its Effect on Our Population
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Common Pain Facts And Myths and other Pain Relief topics.
How profoundly does pain affect our population?
Pain comes in many shapes, sizes, and intensities, and how profoundly it affects the life of the person who experiences it depends on the individual. But the cost of pain to our population is significant, and can be measured not just monetarily, but also by the burden it places on quality of life. Consider this pain information:
- Almost 42% of all Americans report experiencing pain on a daily basis.
- 39% of those in pain say that it affects their ability to get a good night's sleep.
- 43% say that it affects their mood.
- One-third of chronic pain sufferers say that it prevents them from functioning normally.
- One-third also feel that other people don't understand how much pain they're in.
- Only 5% of those reporting chronic pain have consulted a pain specialist.
- 45 million Americans suffer from chronic, recurring headaches.
- Headache pain alone results in around $4 billion spent per year for medication.
Because pain is so subjective, how intensely a person feels it depends on a host of factors, including personality and past experiences with pain. But the ramifications of pain are very real, as is the effect it has on each individual. Get the help your body needs. Use the MyBlankHurts.com free clinician finder to locate a clinician near you.