What are the causes of neck pain?
Whether it comes on gradually or hits you like a ton of bricks, neck pain is a real pain in the neck. Frequently, when there is discomfort in the cervical spine or neck, the symptoms spread to the upper back and shoulders as the muscles that hold up your head struggle to maintain the status quo. These postural muscles are constantly working to offset the pull of gravity (which is drawing the head and neck toward the ground) and can easily become overworked and weakened from the workload. The resultant neck pain is part of a cycle of muscle weakness and fatigue that may become chronic unless the cause is determined. Here are some of the more common causes of neck pain:
- Muscle strain- The muscles that control and maintain the integrity of the cervical spine may experience pain due to overuse. For example, sitting with poor posture at a computer for extended periods of time can result in strain.
- Worn joints- The vertebrae of the cervical spine can develop osteoarthritis, a degenerative condition in which the bony surfaces begin to wear down.
- Disc problems- If the cushioning discs between the vertebrae become thinner and less resilient, they may herniate. Or if the space between the vertebrae themselves narrows, the nerves that come out from that space can become irritated. The result is pain.
- Spurs- Bony growths can form along the edges of the vertebrae due to trauma or wear and tear. This excess bone may press on nerves and cause pain and restricted movement.
- Injury- A trauma can result in an injury to the neck itself. For example, car accidents frequently cause whiplash, where the head is jerked forward and back, causing overstretching of the tissue in the neck.
Managing and treating neck pain symptoms early and effectively is important to help avoid the onset of a chronic problem.
Pain Relief Frequently Asked Questions
What is an aneurysm?
What is Abdominal Rigidity?
What distinguishes appendicitis from other abdominal pains?
What is Arm Paresthesia?
Which type of arm pain is accompanied by an inability to reach backwards?
What condition causes arthritis pain of the wrist?
What may be a cause of unexplained back pain?
What is Scoliosis?
What are the symptoms of disc injury?
Can weather affect my health condition?
Does gender affect pain?
Is psychological pain real?
What can cause feet pain in children?
What may be causing anal pain and bleeding during pregnancy?
What may cause symptoms of pain and itching in the buttocks?
What may cause acute or severe joint pain?
Is my arthritis a result of wear-and-tear?
What may be an underlying cause of muscle pain?
How will my shoulder injury affect my neck?
Is Whiplash Serious?
Is my posture important?
What is shingles?
What are the complications of shingles?
What happens if shingles is not treated?
What may cause a bulge in the groin?
What is a Hydrocoele?
What is testicular torsion?
Can I train too much?
What may cause shin pain after running?
What are the effects of a concussion?
What does "abdominal pain" refer to and what could be the cause?
What signs and symptoms should I look for to indicate I need to seek medical attention for my abdominal pain?
What does it mean if I have numbness or tingling in my hands or arms?
What can referred pain to the arm and shoulder be a sign of?
What causes a rotator cuff tear?
What is arthritis?
How does one manage or treat arthritis?
Do supplements and herbs advertised as helping prevent and treat arthritis symptoms really work?
What are the statistics related to arthritis?
What can cause back pain?
How does upper back pain develop?
How can I deal with chronic back pain?
What is chronic pain?
What is the truth about low back pain?
Does heavy lifting cause back pain?
What are some pain medication myths?
Where can I turn for information on pain?
What is gout?
What is plantar fasciitis?
What are orthotics?
Are flip flops bad for you?
What are some conditions of the toes that can cause pain and disability?
What are hemorrhoids?
How does pressure in the abdominal and digestive system affect hemorrhoids?
What causes hemorrhoids?
What are the treatment options for hemorrhoids?
Is it normal to be stiff and achy after a hard workout?
What is fibromyalgia?
How can I manage my fibromyalgia?
What are the causes of neck pain?
What are the symptoms of neck pain to be aware of?
What are my options for pain that won't go away?
What are some of the causes of groin pain that are specific to men?
What are the causes of groin or genital pain in women?
What is the difference between a sprain and a strain?
How do I treat a sports injury?
What are the types of knee injuries that occur in sports?
What is neuralgia?
Who is at risk for getting shingles?
What can be the lasting side effect of shingles?